re: .

Posted on 6/26/17 at 1:24 pm to
Posted by SmokeTide
Gulf Coast Alabama
Member since Nov 2015
5287 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 1:24 pm to
quote:

It was funny watching Alabama fans talk up their softball team on here because they've been good recently, but they hate college baseball and no one watches it!!! 

Things that make you say hmmm

I'm not a Mainstay on SEC rant, but I've seen multiple threads congratulating LSU and Florida on baseball from Bama fans. Some of us like baseball, but if you want to drop us all in the same boat then we should judge LSU posters on what GenuineTiger creates in his daily threads.
Posted by CrimsonCrusade
Member since Jan 2014
5152 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 1:54 pm to
quote:

If I remember, I think Bama also thinks if it doesn't make a certain amount of money its niche.

Baseball loses money or barely breaks even at the top tier programs because not enough people are coming to the games or buying merchandise related to it. That is a clear indication of a lack of general fan interest. General lack of interest is the definition of niche. If LSU fans were really as passionate about this as they pretend to be, the stadium would need to sit more than 7700 people. It doesn't, because everyone knows baseball is a niche sport.
Posted by Commander Data
Baton Rouge, La
Member since Dec 2016
7289 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 3:12 pm to
quote:

Baseball loses money or barely breaks even at the top tier programs because not enough people are coming to the games or buying merchandise related to it. That is a clear indication of a lack of general fan interest. General lack of interest is the definition of niche. If LSU fans were really as passionate about this as they pretend to be, the stadium would need to sit more than 7700 people. It doesn't, because everyone knows baseball is a niche sport.

And the truth ladies and gentlemen. Also, does it make you insecure to constantly worry about whether other fans care about baseball? I have seen more than one post from LSU fans practically begging Bama fans to notice that they are good at baseball. Unreal....
Posted by RB10
Member since Nov 2010
43822 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 3:14 pm to
quote:

Also, does it make you insecure to constantly worry about whether other fans care about baseball?

It's no different than the people who claim to not care about college baseball tripping over themselves to fill up baseball related threads with posts about how much they don't care about baseball.

Posted by Commander Data
Baton Rouge, La
Member since Dec 2016
7289 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 3:18 pm to
quote:

It's no different than the people who claim to not care about college baseball tripping over themselves to fill up baseball related threads with posts about how much they don't care about baseball.

Agreed. Pisses me off to see some posters taking a shite on the baseball threads. If you don't like baseball then don't open the damn thread. There are lots of fans here that do like it.
This post was edited on 6/26/17 at 3:23 pm
Posted by RB10
Member since Nov 2010
43822 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 3:20 pm to
quote:

Agreed. Pisses me off to some posters taking a shite on the baseball threads. If you don't like baseball then don't open the damn thread. There are lots of fans here that do like it.

Exactly. I don't like basketball, so I don't post in the threads.

It's almost always the same group of posters that do it though, and most of them are known trolls. I posted in another thread, it's just an easy way to try and rile people up. Particularly LSU fans.
Posted by rockiee
Sugar Land, TX
Member since Jan 2015
28540 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 3:21 pm to
quote:

I don't like basketball,

Posted by RB10
Member since Nov 2010
43822 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 3:21 pm to
Come at me bro
Posted by rockiee
Sugar Land, TX
Member since Jan 2015
28540 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 3:24 pm to
quote:

Come at me bro

I don't think you would want that

Bought a few tap out shirts the other day
Posted by lsufball19
Franklin, TN
Member since Sep 2008
64610 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 3:27 pm to
quote:

I didn't really run the numbers but 3K per game @ 35 home games has to still be more profitable than women's basketball, tennis, softball, track, etc.

baseball has a lot more travel than other sports, is second to only football in the size of the team, and costs a lot more in terms of equipment than every sport except for football. baseball loses money at every school except LSU and loses a lot of money most places. However, that hasn't stopped schools from investing tens of millions of dollars in the sport including, gasp, Alabama
This post was edited on 6/26/17 at 3:40 pm
Posted by RB10
Member since Nov 2010
43822 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 3:27 pm to
Affliction shirts don't stop arse whoopins.

ETA: Neither do tap out shirts
This post was edited on 6/26/17 at 3:28 pm
Posted by lsufball19
Franklin, TN
Member since Sep 2008
64610 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 3:32 pm to
quote:

I also don't understand why its such a big deal for college baseball fans to demand that others validate their sport.

They don't. Trolls on here just continually demean the sport and give people shite who enjoy it and like discussing it.
Posted by threedog79
Member since Sep 2013
2990 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 3:35 pm to
bass fishing
Posted by lsufball19
Franklin, TN
Member since Sep 2008
64610 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 3:35 pm to
quote:

. If LSU fans were really as passionate about this as they pretend to be, the stadium would need to sit more than 7700 people. It doesn't, because everyone knows baseball is a niche sport.

it sits over 10.5k actually, more than some basketball arenas in this conference (State, UGA, Auburn, Ole Miss, and Florida)
This post was edited on 6/26/17 at 3:44 pm
Posted by rockiee
Sugar Land, TX
Member since Jan 2015
28540 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 3:38 pm to
quote:

Baseball loses money or barely breaks even at the top tier programs because not enough people are coming to the games or buying merchandise related to it.

I'm fairly positive that Arkansas makes a profit off of it or at least they have in the past.
Posted by Cheese Grits
Wherever I lay my hat is my home
Member since Apr 2012
54672 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 3:39 pm to
quote:

Cheer-leading. It's a NON-sport.

I know you guys are gay with no cheerleaders and all, but in the last 20 - 30 years the cheerleader are pretty damn fit. Nit quite gymnastics bodies, but not far from it.
Posted by gohogs141
Fayetteville
Member since Jun 2011
7515 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 3:51 pm to
quote:

I know who Benintendi and Judge are but had no idea that they played in college, for example.

Benintendi won the college baseball equivalent of the Heisman 2 years ago.

I'm sure there are some NFL-only fans in the northeast that didn't know Derrick Henry won a heisman and crap on college football because they don't watch it. I've seen some NFL fans who are very snobby about watching college football. Just seems like some of the people who rail on college baseball on here for being a niche sport are similar.
Posted by Tammany Tom
Mandeville
Member since Jun 2004
3178 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 4:10 pm to
quote:

Baseball makes money at LSU. More money than virtually all the other SEC teams combined less Texas A&M.

Just an FYI: The suites at Alex Box go for for approx. $35,000 per year donation + ticket price per seat. The Gold seats require a $2000 donation per seat + ticket cost.

LSU averages 10,500 per game.

New Orleans and Baton Rouge lead the country in TV ratings for college baseball games regularly.

I would call this a clear indication of general fan interest.

Page 1 2 3 4
Jump to page
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 4Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow SECRant for SEC Football News
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook to get the latest updates on SEC Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitter