Started By
re: .

Posted on 7/14/17 at 1:46 pm to
Posted by ShaneTheLegLechler
Member since Dec 2011
60148 posts
Posted on 7/14/17 at 1:46 pm to
quote:

But when you take into account cost of living, you realize its not even close. According to Business Insider's Cost of Living calculator, for the 53 US metros that have at least 1 million residents, Washington (#1), New York (#2), San Francisco (#3), Boston (#4), San Jose (#5), and Los Angeles (#14) are all very expensive cities. Your paycheck does not go very far there.

quote:

If you look at the Zillow Home Value Index, Highland Park ($1,625,600) and University Park ($1,425,900) come in ahead of places like Greenwhich, CT ($1,351,300) and Chevy Chase, MD ($1,107,200).

You need to reconcile these two points somehow
Posted by tgerb8
Huntsvegas
Member since Aug 2007
5983 posts
Posted on 7/14/17 at 3:46 pm to
quote:

Best city in the southeast/SEC

"Best" is so subjective. So there's obviously no definitive answer to this. Generally speaking we couldn't care less about how many Fortune 500 companies are headquartered in a city or how many airports there are. As long as we have a good job and travel is easy. This holds true across many aspects.

Personally speaking.. I have a 7 minute commute, make well over 100k without a degree, and the cost of living is ridiculously low ( LINK - if you scroll down the list any further you're hitting Russian and Mexican cities). Athens GA, San Antonio TX, and Tuscon are the only notable US cities below. I can drive an additional 10 minutes and be skiing on the beautiful Tennessee river. An hour away and I'm hunting in Bankhead National Forest. But there are so many damn Bama fans so Huntsville is basically a cesspool in my mind.. Subjectivity..

But seriously. From personal experience I'd take Nashville over Atlanta because traffic is such a nightmare in ATL. It's such a personal reason that is probably dumb in lots of people's minds, but all the world class attractions in the world wouldn't outweigh that for me. Atlanta is a fantastic place though and I would probably say it's a "better" city than Nashville if I remove my preferences from the equation.

When I ventured out on my own for the first time I did a lot of research on cities that could be possible landing spots. We settled on Virginia Beach, VA and I've got to say that will probably always be "best" in my mind.

Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin aren't really in the discussion for me because I don't consider Texas the south.. It's just it's own God blessed slice of heaven.
Posted by Hugh McElroy
Member since Sep 2013
17370 posts
Posted on 7/14/17 at 3:47 pm to
My vote goes to Ruston, LA.
Posted by Herman Frisco
Bon Secour
Member since Sep 2008
17270 posts
Posted on 7/14/17 at 3:55 pm to
Uniontown, Al
Posted by BHMKyle
Birmingham, AL
Member since Feb 2013
5076 posts
Posted on 7/14/17 at 4:04 pm to
quote:

You need to reconcile these two points somehow

Housing is not the only cost of living. According to their economic calculator, for two adults with two children, the cost of childcare alone in Metro DC costs over $21,000 more per year than it does in Dallas. Taxes are nearly $14,000 more per year than in Dallas. Housing is $6600 more per year.

Sure, you get way more house for your money in Dallas than in New York or DC. But the fact remains, people in Highland Park make just as much money as those who live in Greenwich, Chevy Chase, Scarsdale, etc., but their money goes way further in a town like Dallas... which makes the lifestyle even THAT much more opulent.
This post was edited on 7/14/17 at 4:05 pm
Jump to page
Page First 12 13 14
Jump to page
first pageprev pagePage 14 of 14Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow SECRant for SEC Football News
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook to get the latest updates on SEC Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitter